Anastasis Agathos was born in Athens in 1971. He studied at the LCC, University of the Arts in London (1991-1995). His dissertation subject was Theatrical Aspects in the poetics of photography.
He worked as director-cinematographer, media researcher, photographer, book designer, editor and commercial scubadiver. The last years he also works with maritime archaeologists filming ancient shipwrecks.
He has worked for the Benaki Museum, the Megaron Athens Concert Hall, the Ministry of Culture, the Friends of Music Society, the Kykladon Street Theater, the DESTE Foundation for Contemporary Art, the Zoumpoulakis Galleries, the Athens & Epidaurus Festival, the New Acropolis Museum, RAINEWS, the Hellenc Institute of Marine Archaeology, the Ephorate of Underwater Archaeology, the Laboratory Of Marine Geology & Physical Oceanography of the Univercity of Patras.
- 1995 photographs of ancient sculptures and spaces of the British Museum during the restoration of the building, exhibited at the Coup de Théâtre bookstore, Paris. The photographs were selected for the collection of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France.
Following the completion of his military service in the navy (1996 – 1998),
- 1998-2000 direction of photography for the documentaries of A walk around the Ancient Market and From Syros with love, production of the National Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- 1999-2000 photography of educational programs and museum exhibits, Benaki Museum
- 1999 cinematography of the rehearsals and performances for the play of Giorgos Dialegmenos, The night of the owl, direction of Lefteris Vogiatzis, Theatre Nea Skini
- 2000 research on audiovisual material for the exhibition Giorgos Seferis, Poet and Citizen, Smyrna Turkey – Technopolis Athens, Ministry of Culture. Logbooks, triptych video-wall on the poet’s life. Video-projection on the poem “Kichli”. Artistic design of the exhibition’s printed material. Curation of the exhibition in Nafplio, Mesologgi and Thessaloniki (2001-2003).
-2001 design and photography for the printed booklet of the play Cleansed by Sarah Cane, direction of Lefteris Vogiatzis, Theatre Nea Skini.
- 2002 cinematographer & photographer in the expedition Pontus navigation – the round of the Black Sea on an inflatable boat, Stavros Niarchos Foundation.
- 2002 direction of photography for the video of the exhibition Forty Years of the International Olympic Academy, production of the Organizational Committee of Olympic Games, Athina 2004
- 2003 exhibition design of the pavilion of the of the Domain of Culture and direction of the videos – projections of the exhibition, Thessaloniki expo, Greek Ministry of Culture
- 2003 motion graphics and editing for the video – projection of the exhibition Ettore Sottsass,Alessandro Mendini, Cleto Munari, DESTE Foundation for Contemporary Art
- 2004 video – projection Pipikos sur la terrace for the group exhibition Zoolympics at the Zoumboulakis Galleries.
- 2004 – 2006 direction of commercial TV spots for the magazines Marie Claire, Diakopes etc.
- 2004 editing of the printed program for the theatre performance of Euripides’ The Bacchae, direction of Luca Ronconi, Epidaurous Festival
- 2005 curator for the exhibition Memories of the Mediterranean and creation of the video – projections Faces, Places, Ode to Memory, Ministry of Culture
- 2005 direction of documentary Ancient Olympia, scientific advisor Xeni Arapogianni, production of The Friends of Music Society
-2006 direction of the documentary Discovering Ancient Messini, scientific advisor Petros Themelis, production of The Friends of Music Society
- 2006 video for the presentation of the 11th Black Sea Archaeological Symposium, Vani 2005, Georgia
- 2006 Mr. H video – projection for the Zoumboulakis Galleries
- Founded with Tatiana Karapanagioti the production company Urgh productions, active in audiovisual projects
- 2007 direction of the documentary Dion, the excavation, scientific advisor Dimitris Pantermalis, production The Friends of Music Society
- 2007 direction of the documentary The Museum of the Cycladic Arts, scientific advisor Nikolaos Stampolidis, production The Friends of Music Society
-2007-2009 direction – cinematography of the series Construction and organization of exhibits for the new acropolis museum, The New Acropolis Museum
-2008 direction of the series “At home and away”, educational programs, Library of the Friends of Music Society.
-2008 direction of the series: Vocational Guidance, 30 videos, production the Friends of Music Society
-2008-2009 direction of the tv series A Modern Pausanias, 24 episodes, ERT production
- 2009 video used as a stage scenery of Gluck’s Alceste, directed by Nikos Petropoulos, production MEGARON, Athens Concert Hall
- 2010 direction documentary Black Sands, Urgh Productions. Distinguished at Documentary Festival Halkida 2012
- 2010 direction documentary The Comedy of Junta, production DOL
- 2011 video screened in the exhibition Modern Greek Woman, magazine ΒΗΜΑdonna, Hub, production DOL
- 2011 cinematography TV program Protagon, production MEGA
- 2011 video screened in the exhibition 20x20 Modern Greek Artists, magazine ΒΗΜΑmen, Athinais Cultural Center, production DOL
- 2012 consultant to the Greek Minister of Culture, Tatiana Karapanagioti
- 2012 underwater cinematographer in the Archaeological expedition of the Hellenic Institute of Marine Archaeology in S.Euboian Golf
- 2012 production and soundscapes for Gonur Tepe soundtrack with Efthimis Theodossis
- 2013 video for the exhibition Bedrooms, in metamatic:taf, Athens, production decaARCHITECTURE
- 2013 cinematographer for RAINEWS24s
- 2013 underwater cinematographer in the Archaeological expedition of the Hellenic Institute of Marine Archaeology in Poros, Modi
-2015 underwater cinematography, Drops of Breath
-2016 filming Public Education programs at documenta14
Diploma of Speleology S.ΕL.Α.S. first degreeMarine driver licence • Diving diploma: Normoxic Trimix Diver IANTD
Attended the following seminars and symposiums:
-The 9th School of Sound International Symposium, London 2011
-The 8th School of Sound International Symposium, London 2009
-Third International Conference of Museology, ICOM – AVICOM 2006
-Camerimage International Film Festival of the Art of Cinematography seminars, Poland 2002